Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Homemade creme fraiche



I'm so excited to share a post for Real Food Wednesday. Cheeseslave is hosting it this week. I was able to make a little more than 2 cups of creme fraiche for around $3, using vat pasturized, grass fed cream.

I needed creme fraiche for a recipe this week and thought I would post a tutorial for making it. I am making chicken supreme from Nourishing Traditions if you're interested. Todd and I will eat it on rice and Lucy will have it on steamed broccoli so it's Gaps friendly.
I'm using the recipe from the Gaps book and I didn't have access to creme fraiche starter so I'm using yogurt instead. That's the option she gives in the book.

You'll need the following,
1/2 liter of cream
1/2 cup starter or yogurt
mason jar for fermenting



Add the cream to a small saucepan and cook it until it almost boils while stirring frequently, but don't let it boil.



Now let it cool to 104 degrees, then stir in your starter, and pour into a mason jar. Cover with a lid, and put it in a warm place for at least 24 hours.



While I was waiting for the cream to boil I went and got these from our backyard chickens. I love having chickens!



Now you have yummy homemade creme fraiche and leftover cream for a warm drink.

No comments: